Next Generation Volkswagen Golf GTI Emerges
Volkswagen touted its seventh-generation Golf GTI model at the 2013 Geneva Motor Show. This generation of the popular Volkswagen Golf GTI looks sharp and offers an optional Performance Pack for the power junkies!
The main changes in this year’s Golf are in the power and fuel efficiency arenas
The 2014 Golf GTI is powered by a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder kicking out 150 horsepower. Weighing in at just 1,351kg, the seemingly small engine propels the car from 0-60 in just 6.5 seconds, which gives a good idea of how zippy it is. Volkswagen vehicles are known for their tight handling and quick acceleration, and the new GTI Golf is a shining example of that special German engineering.
The new VW Golf GTI at a glance:
- 2.0-liter turbocharged engine
- Top speed of 152 miles per hour
- Front wheel drive
- 6-speed manual transmission with optional six-speed DSG gearbox
- Estimated 47 miles per gallon
- Twin exhaust pipes, sports suspension, and 18-inch alloy wheels with shiny red brake calipers
- Optional Performance Pack boosts the GTI up to 227bhp and adds a proper mechanical limited slip differential. It also receives more powerful brakes. It only shaves one second off of the 0-60 jump and one mile per hour to the top speed, however.
Inside of the VW Golf GTI cabin: Red lighting highlights tartan cloth upholstery, a new steering design, stainless steel pedals and revised instrument cluster.
The next gen Golf comes in 3 options: A turbocharged TSI, a TDI and the GTI. The TSI is a 1.8-liter while the other two pack the 2.0-liter. The TDI is, of course, a diesel. Pricing for the 2014 Golf line will start around $37,800 USD