In the market for a downpipe for your MQB Audi or Volkswagen? We can help!
The MQB platform refers to any of the below vehicles:
- 2015-2018 MK7/7.5 Volkswagen GTI
- 2015-2018 MK7/7.5 Volkswagen Golf
- 2015-2018 MK7 Volkswagen Sportwagen
- 2017-2018 MK7 Volkswagen Alltrack
- 2015-2018 MK7/7.5 Volkswagen Golf R
- 2015-2018 8V Audi A3, A3 Quattro
- 2015-2018 8V Audi S3
- 2016-2018 MK3 TT Quattro
What does a downpipe do?
In the most basic form, the downpipe is taking spent exhaust gases from the turbine and delivering it to the cat-back.
The stock downpipe on your MK7 or 8V comes with two catalytic converters and is only 2.5” in diameter. These two factors are big restrictions in the quest to make more power.
The front wheel drive and all wheel drive downpipes are similar in design, the difference being the all-wheel-drive downpipe is longer. Below is the layout of the factory FWD downpipe
What does an aftermarket downpipe do?
As you can see from above the factory downpipe has restrictions in the diameter and use of multiple catalytic converters. Aftermarket downpipes not only increase the diameter but they reduce the number of catalytic converters or even remove them completely. Most aftermarket downpipes are 3 to 3.5” inches. The increase in the diameter helps reduce back pressure which in turn creates more power as the exhaust gasses can escape faster.
How Does a Catalytic Converter affect performance?
The stock downpipe has two very restrictive catalytic converters. Aftermarket downpipes will typically come in two configurations.
- With a high flow catalyst. Typically they are 200 cell catalytic converters which are a good balance between performance and reducing emissions. The higher the cell count the more restrictive that catalyst will be.
- Without any catalytic converters. This option removes all catalytic converters from the downpipe meaning you now have a straight pipe directly to the cat-back system. The most power will be gained from a cat-less downpipe. Be aware this option will be illegal for use in most states due to emissions regulations. The other downside will be the exhaust smell due to no catalytic converters.
Do I need anything else to run a downpipe?
For the MQB platform, it is highly recommended that you tune your vehicle after a downpipe is installed. The biggest reason is to gain the most power out of your new downpipe! Typically people refer to “stage 2” as an ECU tune and downpipe. All Stage 2 tunes will work on catted and non-catted downpipes. Along with more power, tuners re-calibrate the O2 sensor so it will not throw any type of codes once the vehicle is flashed and a downpipe is installed. If you decide to install the downpipe and do not have a tune you will potentially throw a CEL (check engine light) for a catalyst inefficiency code.
Will I pass emissions? Is it legal?
It is very important to understand your state or county’s regulations before installing a downpipe. If you live in Califonia, any downpipe on the market will not be CARB exempt. This means it is not for use on public roads.
Popular MQB Downpipes
Front Wheel Drive Non-Catted Downpipes
Front Wheel Drive Catted Downpipes
All Wheel Drive Non-Catted Downpipes
All Wheel Drive Catted Downpipes